Mosquitoes In Virginia Beach: An All-Inclusive Prevention And Control Guide
July 30, 2023
Spending as much time outside as you can during the warmer months is a great way to stay active and enjoy nature, but it puts you at risk of mosquito bites anytime you set foot outdoors.
Though mosquitoes are a nuisance, there are a few things homeowners can do to keep them from being a major problem around the house. Here’s what your Virginia Beach pest control team wants you to know so you can protect yourself and your loved ones.
Understanding The Mosquito Life Cycle: A Key To Effective Control
One of the reasons that effective mosquito control in Virginia Beach can be so challenging is that the mosquito life cycle is incredibly fast.
Adult mosquitoes lay eggs in standing or still water like puddles, stagnant ponds, and pools. Once the eggs hatch, the mosquito larvae will live in the water until they’re old enough and developed enough to emerge from the water. Once they leave the water, young mosquitoes can fly around, and the females start biting humans.
Since much of their life cycle takes place in standing water, getting rid of that standing water is the best way to keep mosquitoes away from your property.
Mosquito Dangers: Understanding The Risks Of An Infestation
For most people, mosquitoes in Virginia Beach aren’t incredibly dangerous, but they can pose several health risks. Mosquitoes don’t spread diseases but can transmit diseases when they bite you.
However, most mosquito bites are simply annoying. These bites can result in the following symptoms:
- Red bumps: Most individuals develop red, itchy bumps at the bite site shortly after the bite occurs.
- Swelling: Individuals allergic to mosquito bites may experience swelling and pain around the bite site.
- Itchiness: Mosquito bites cause irritation; many individuals experience itchiness at and around the bite area.
For most people, anti-itch creams will reduce discomfort while the bites heal. However, if you’re feeling unwell or uncomfortable with how a bite looks, contact your doctor immediately.
Mosquito Prevention: Eco-Friendly And Effective Tips
Though mosquitoes are a common nuisance and finding ways to kill mosquitoes indoors and out can seem difficult, it’s actually easier than you might think.
Here are a few easy ways to prevent mosquito infestations in and around your home:
- Remove standing water: Inspect your property for puddles and standing water every week. If you see any, dump the water out.
- Keep your landscaping manicured: Mosquitoes love shady, overgrown areas. Keep bushes and trees trimmed back to reduce the number of shady spots they have access to.
- Stay indoors around dusk and dawn: Mosquitoes are most active in the early morning and evening. You can reduce your risk of bites by staying indoors during those parts of the day.
- Cover up: Mosquitoes only bite exposed skin. Wear long sleeves, long pants, shoes, and socks outdoors.
- Schedule professional appointments: The best way to get rid of mosquitoes is to let an experienced pest control team treat your property. Schedule recurring services during peak mosquito season for the best results.
These tips will help you keep your home and your property mosquito-free so you can enjoy the great outdoors without having to deal with those annoying buzzing insects.
Pro Mosquito Control: A Smart Idea For Virginia Beach Properties
Whether you have mosquitoes or insects that look like mosquitoes on your property, you’ll want to work with a pest control specialist to keep those insects from becoming a major problem. At Hawk Mosquito & Pest, our team is here to help. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Virginia Beach.