Ants are small but formidable pests, and getting rid of them is no easy task. If you’ve ever experienced an ant problem in your home, you know that these pesky insects just keep coming back - no matter how many times you squish or spray them.
Ants are a source of frustration for many Chesapeake homeowners, but there’s no need to let ants take over your home. Read on to learn our secret to quality ant control near you.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Chesapeake Homes
Homeowners often don’t take much notice of the type of ants they find in their homes, but there are important distinctions between ant species. Some ants are riskier than others to have in your home, so it can be helpful to know how to identify different types of ants.
Several species of ant call Chesapeake home; here are the most common ones you’ll find in the area:
- Red Imported Fire Ants - Fire ants are feared due to their aggressive nature and painful stings. While they are seldom found indoors, they can be problematic in yards, where they build mound nests and will sting if disturbed. Fire ants are ⅓” - ⅜” long and can be identified by their dark reddish-brown color.
- Odorous House Ants - Odorous house ants are about ⅛ long and are brownish-black in color. They are the most prevalent species of household ant in the U.S. and are named for the rotten smell they emit when crushed.
- Carpenter Ants - Carpenter ants can wreak havoc on the wooden elements of your home, as they tunnel through wood in order to build their nests. This species is relatively large at around ⅝” long and varies in color from black, red, brown, or a red-black combination.
- Argentine Ants - These ants, accidentally brought to the U.S. on ships from Argentina in the late 1800s, are small, brown, and live in large colonies. Argentine ants often set out to procure food in long trails of hundreds of individual ants.
- Pharaoh Ants - Pharaoh ants can be identified by their pale yellow bodies with dark brown or black abdomens. This species is particularly dangerous, as it is a known vector of diseases such as salmonellosis and streptococcus.
The ants species above are some of the most common types that may invade your Chesapeake home. If you discover any of these ants on your property, you should seek professional ant control near you.
The Problems Ants Can Cause In Your Chesapeake Home
Whether your home has Argentine ants, odorous house ants, pharaoh ants, or any other species, you’ll soon find that they are a nuisance and cause a lot of problems. Depending on the species, ants may eat and contaminate food, damage property, or sting. Worse still, ants can put the health and safety of you and your family at risk.
Many species of household ants carry pathogens such as E. coli, shigella, and salmonellosis. Pharaoh ants also transmit staphylococcus, streptococcus, and clostridium. Fire ants can be a threat due to their painful stings, which can cause raised welts and allergic reactions.
Your property can also be impacted by ants. For example, carpenter ants will drill holes and tunnels through your home’s wooden structures, which can result in severe damage to wood over time. Ants are a more serious pest than they may seem at first glance, but you can keep your property safe with quality indoor and outdoor ant control.
Easy & Effective Ant Prevention Tips For Chesapeake Homes
Effective home pest control for ants starts with ant prevention. To reduce the likelihood of future ant infestations, follow these easy and effective ant prevention tips for Chesapeake homes:
- Cut back shrubs and trees around the outside of your home.
- Address any moisture or humidity issues in your house.
- Keep food in sealed containers.
- Wipe down surfaces and clean floors regularly to remove particles of food.
- Use trash cans with lids and dispose of garbage frequently.
- Seal any small cracks, holes, or gaps on the exterior of your home to prevent ants from entering.
Safe & Effective Ant Control For Chesapeake Homes
If you are experiencing an ant problem in your home, put a stop to it today. Ants may be hard to get rid of on your own, but it’s a breeze for the professionals at Hawk Mosquito & Pest. Hawk Mosquito & Pest provides safe and effective indoor and outdoor ant control in Chesapeake.
We have the experience and expertise to eliminate every last ant from your property. Our services are backed by our satisfaction guarantee, so you can rest assured that we will leave your home 100% ant-free. Contact Hawk Mosquito & Pest today for safe and effective home pest control for ants.