Cockroaches are the dread of every homeowner. They’re nasty, creepy, and seemingly impossible to eliminate. To make matters worse, all types of cockroaches are covered in bacteria and pathogens that can make you seriously ill. If you have cockroaches in your Chesapeake home, you’re probably feeling frustrated and worried, maybe even a little panicked. Luckily, this handy guide will teach you the signs of cockroaches, the dangers they pose, and the trick to getting rid of them.
Signs Of A Cockroach Problem In Your Chesapeake Home
Cockroaches are indisputably gross, but they’re also pretty smart. They know how to stay out of sight to avoid detection. Most types of cockroaches are also sensitive to light, so it can be difficult to spot them during the daytime. That being said, there are several clues that can indicate a cockroach problem. Here are the most common signs of a cockroach infestation:
- Cockroach droppings - these can appear as small, dark pellets or black specks, depending on the species.
- Smear marks on walls caused by cockroach fecal staining.
- Cockroach shed skins - cockroach nymphs shed their skins as they grow.
- Egg capsules - depending on the type of cockroach, these can be yellowish or dark-colored.
- A foul, musty odor that cockroaches emit, especially in large numbers.
- Spotting an actual cockroach, dead or alive. Most species are some shade of brown, oval-shaped, and relatively flat.
The occurrence of one or more of these signs means that your home likely has cockroaches, but you should contact a pest control service for a professional inspection.
The Dangers Of Having Cockroaches In Your Chesapeake Home
Every Chesapeake homeowner should be aware of the dangers of cockroaches, especially if you have noticed any signs of a cockroach infestation. Cockroaches are highly unsanitary pests, as they frequent locations like sewers, drains, and dumpsters. They pick up various bacteria and viruses in these places and then bring them into your home.
Cockroaches are known to carry a plethora of diseases. They can transmit over 30 kinds of bacteria, six types of parasitic worms, and at least seven other pathogens. These include dangerous diseases such as salmonellosis, typhus, dysentery, giardia, and E. coli. Roaches may also cause asthma attacks and allergic reactions via proteins in their urine, saliva, and droppings.
If you have cockroaches, don’t ignore the problem; these pests may have serious consequences to your health. It’s crucial to begin cockroach control as soon as possible after cockroach identification.
The Safest & Most Effective Cockroach Control For Chesapeake Homes
Okay, so you’ve identified cockroaches in your home - now, what? After cockroach identification, it’s time to take steps to get rid of them and keep them from returning. There are many cockroach control products on the market, but nothing works as well as professional cockroach control. Pest control professionals have the equipment, knowledge, and experience to eliminate the cockroaches from your home.
For the safest, most effective cockroach control in Chesapeake, reach out to Hawk Mosquito & Pest. Our experts will thoroughly inspect and treat your property for cockroaches, eliminating any cockroaches on the premises and creating a barrier to keep newcomers out. We also offer quarterly pest control that will help keep your property free of cockroaches and other pests year-round. Our Hawk Pest Free Guarantee ensures that each and every pest is eliminated from your property.
Don’t take any chances when it comes to cockroaches. Contact Hawk Mosquito & Pest for quality cockroach control in the Chesapeake region.
Six Simple Cockroach Prevention Tips For Chesapeake Homes
Cockroaches aren’t very picky about the homes they invade. They can survive off the tiniest morsels of food, so even relatively well-maintained homes can attract them. Cockroaches are also able to flatten themselves and fit through tiny crevices, making it tricky to keep them out, and store-bought cockroach control products have limited effectiveness.
Although cockroaches are difficult to avoid, there are some steps you can take to help prevent them in your Chesapeake home. Here are six simple cockroach prevention tips for keeping roaches out:
- Seal any holes, gaps, cracks, or crevices on the exterior of your home to keep cockroaches from entering.
- Use mesh screens on vents, drains, and windows.
- Store food, including pet food, in sealed containers.
- Wipe down counters, sweep and mop floors, and vacuum regularly to reduce food sources for cockroaches.
- Clean up yard debris and trim shrubs and trees near the foundation of your home.
- Address moisture issues in your home by using dehumidifiers, fixing leaking pipes, and maintaining gutters.
Following these simple tips can help protect your property, and your family, from cockroaches. However, cockroaches are highly invasive and may become a problem despite your best efforts. If you do notice signs of cockroaches, remember to call Hawk Mosquito & Pest for fast and effective cockroach control services.