What are rodents?
Rodents live worldwide and make up the largest group of mammals; mice and rats are a couple of the most common and well-known rodents. With so many rodents, they vary greatly in physical appearance, feeding habits, and nesting preferences. What distinguishes rodents from other mammals is their large, constantly growing upper and lower teeth. To stop their teeth from overgrowing, they gnaw and cause a lot of damage to the indoor and outdoor spaces they have decided to call home. When it comes to rodent control in your Chesapeake home, it's important to be proactive and call a professional at the very first sign of an infestation.
Are rodents dangerous?
Most people view rodents as a problem, but are they really dangerous? The unfortunate truth is that rodents are quite dangerous, and homeowners should never ignore their presence.
- Rodents are wild animals and therefore unpredictable; if corned, they may bite or scratch to protect themselves.
- Rodents carry a variety of bacteria, pathogens, and parasites on their bodies and in their saliva, excrement, and urine.
- When in our homes, rodents contaminate surfaces and food.
- Rodents are super destructive, digging and chewing through wires, pipes, furniture, clothing, flooring, and more.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
There are many reasons why rodents are such a problem for Chesapeake homeowners. A few of the most likely causes are listed below.
- They reproduce fast; one pregnant female can quickly lead to a large infestation.
- Rodents have learned to rely on us for some of their food and shelter needs.
- Their small bodies and agility allow them to easily find their way into our homes when the outside environment no longer meets their needs.
Where are rodents commonly found?
Rodents live outside all around us and are very adaptable to different living conditions. They call fields, parks, meadows, wooded areas, our yards, and urban centers home. Living in large populations near our homes means that they can use our houses as a safe respite whenever they feel it is necessary.
When rodents move indoors, they seek out dark, quiet areas to nest that put them near food and water. Some of their favorite nesting spots in our Virginia homes include wall voids, behind cabinets and appliances, attics, basements, and spaces under furniture.
How do I get rid of rodents?
Rodents are pests with close ties to people, making it difficult to keep them away from our yards and out of our homes. The best way to tackle rodents and stop them from returning to your property is with the help of the trained professionals at Hawk Mosquito & Pest. Our professionals are committed to our customers and to providing pest control solutions that are eco-friendly, effective, and budget-friendly. Our residential or commercial pest control solutions will ensure unwanted rodents are quickly removed and that services are put in place to avoid future issues with these pests.
Learn more about our top-notch rodent control services by reaching out to us today!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
Prevent issues with rodents by partnering with us at Hawk Mosquito & Pest and implementing the following recommendations:
- Take the steps necessary to keep your family’s food away from the paws of rodents. Keep perishables in the fridge and dry goods in hard-sided containers with lids.
- Store trash appropriately. Place all trash bags in outdoor containers with lids until it is trash pick-up day. Store trash cans away from the exterior walls of your home.
- Don’t stack firewood or other materials right next to your home’s exterior.
- Take the time to regularly and thoroughly inspect your home’s exterior. Sealing any holes, cracks, or gaps, you come across.
- Keep your home free of excess clutter and regularly vacuum and wipe down surfaces; don’t forget spaces under furniture and large appliances.