Rodents are likely at the top of most people's lists of the worst possible pests. These pesky rodents can cause damage to property and spread disease, prompting many homeowners to seek solutions to prevent infestations.
Unfortunately, Virginia Beach is no exception. Our warm climate and plentiful food sources make it an attractive habitat for rodents, leading to increased reports of sightings and incidents in recent years.
At Hawk Mosquito and Pest, we specialize in helping Virginia Beach homeowners solve rodent infestations. Our highly trained and certified professional team knows how to eliminate these unwanted guests for good, using proven, safe, and effective methods. We offer tailored services to meet your needs, including comprehensive inspections, customized treatments, sealing entry points, and regular maintenance visits.
If you are concerned about rodents in your home, don't wait to take action. Let our Hawk Mosquito and Pest expert team help you reclaim your home from these unwanted pests. For more information on our pest control services in Virginia Beach or to request a free quote, give us a call today.
Types of Rodents That Invade Homes
If you live in Virginia Beach, chances are you've had a run-in or two with rodents. While these pests can be found all over the world, they seem to be particularly fond of Virginia Beach homes. The most common rodents in Virginia Beach that invade homes are house mice, deer mice, Norway rats, and roof rats:
- House Mice: The house mouse is one of the most common rodents in Virginia Beach. House mice are small rodents, typically only growing to be about 2 to 4 inches long. They have dark fur, and their tails are relatively long compared to their body size. House mice are good climbers and jumpers, allowing them to access homes through small cracks and holes easily.
- Deer Mice: Deer mice are similar in size to house mice; however, they have brown or reddish-brown fur with white on their bellies and feet. Deer mice also have larger eyes and ears in proportion to their heads than house mice do. These rodents are good climbers and jumpers and can squeeze through tiny openings.
- Norway Rats: Norway rats are significantly larger than house mice and deer mice - adult Norway rats can grow to be about 16 inches long from nose to tail. These rats have coarse brown fur with lighter fur on their bellies. Norway rats are good swimmers and often enter homes through drains or sewer systems.
- Roof Rats: As their name suggests, roof rats often enter homes through the roof. These rats are excellent climbers in homes' attics or other high spaces. Roof rats are smaller than Norway rats, typically only growing to be about 13 inches long from nose to tail. They have black fur with some gray intermixed and often have lighter fur on their bellies.
These mice and rats are pesky critters that no one wants in their home, but unfortunately, they're quite common in Virginia Beach.
If any of these types of rodents are invading your home, take action and contact the experts at Hawk Mosquito and Pest. Our team of trained professionals has the knowledge and tools necessary to eliminate these pests so you can reclaim your home. To learn more, give us a call today.
Rodents Can Make You Sick And Damage Property
Let's be honest, while some may consider mice and rats cute, most people prefer to avoid them altogether. Not only can these rodents damage your property, but they can also pose a serious threat to your health. These pests are more than just a simple nuisance when they invade your home. Here are some of the dangers that mice and rats pose:
- Rodents can gnaw through wires, causing fire hazards: Mice and rats have very sharp teeth, which they use to chew through almost anything; this includes wires in your home, which can lead to dangerous electrical fires.
- Rodents can spread diseases: Both mice and rats can carry a variety of diseases that can make you sick if you come into contact with them or their droppings. These diseases include salmonellosis, plague, hantavirus, and rat-bite fever.
- Rodents can contaminate food: If you have mice or rats in your home, they may enter your pantry and start eating your food; this can lead to contaminated food that may make you sick if you eat it.
- Rodents can damage property by scratching or chewing: Rats and mice have very sharp claws, which they use to dig into walls and furniture; this can cause damage that may be expensive to repair.
- Rodents can also trigger asthma attacks: If you have mice or rats in your home, they may trigger asthma attacks in people who are allergic to them.
- Their constant scratching can damage walls and insulation: Rodents have a reputation for being very noisy and usually don't disappoint. Their constant scratching can damage walls and insulation, resulting in expensive repairs.
- Rodents can also gnaw on furniture and stored belongings, causing damage: If you have mice or rats in your home, they may chew on your furniture and stored belongings, resulting in expensive damage.
Mice and rats can be tough to eradicate once they've settled in your home. If you think you have a mouse or rat problem, you must immediately call a professional pest control company to take care of the problem before it gets out of hand.
Hawk Mosquito and Pest can deal with all kinds of rodents in Virginia Beach. With years of rodent control experience, our team is the trusted choice for getting rid of these pests for good. Contact us today to learn more about how we get rid of rodents in your Virginia Beach home.
How and Why Rodents Find Their Way Into Our Virginia Beach Homes
We've all seen the little buggers dart across our floors or rummage through trash cans. But have you ever wondered how rodents find their way into our homes? And, more importantly, why do they want to come in first?
There are three main ways that rodents can enter our homes; through cracks and holes in the foundation or exterior walls, gaps around doors and windows, and openings to ducts, chimneys, and vents. Once inside, they'll set up shop anywhere that offers food, water, and shelter, including attics, basements, closets, behind appliances, and inside walls.
As for why they want to come in, to escape the cold weather and to find food. When winter rolls around, rodents will do whatever it takes to find a warm place to nest. Since our homes offer all the warmth and comfort they could ever want, it's no wonder they try to break in. As for food, rodents will eat just about anything, from crumbs on the floor to pet food left out overnight. If you're not careful about keeping your home clean and tidy, you could have some furry (and unwelcome) houseguests.
No one wants rodents in their home. They are gross and disruptive and can also carry diseases that pose a serious health risk to you and your family. That's why it's important to be aware of how they get into our homes and what we can do to prevent them from coming in. By sealing cracks and holes on the outside of our homes and being mindful of what we leave out on the inside, we can help keep these critters where they belong - outdoors.
For the best protection against rodents, it's a good idea to enlist the help of a pest control company. The Hawk Mosquito and Pest experts have years of experience dealing with pests in Virginia Beach, and we know exactly how to keep all rodents out of your home. Call us today to learn more about our rodent control services in Virginia Beach or get a free quote.
The Trick To Stress-Free And Effective Rodent Control
If you've ever dealt with a rodent infestation, you know how stressful it can be. In addition to the mess and damage, there's also the constant worry that the rodents will return. Not to mention, these pests are challenging to eliminate on your own.
That's why we offer a practical and stress-free rodent extermination service at Hawk Mosquito and Pest. Whether dealing with mice or rats, our trained professionals can eliminate them quickly and safely, allowing you to return to the business of living your life.
If you've had enough of these pesky creatures and are ready to say goodbye, contact us today to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Virginia Beach, and get a free quote. We'll come out as soon as possible to inspect your property and offer a customized solution for your rodent problem.