The Trick To Getting Rid Of Mice In Your Chesapeake Home
November 30, 2021
Your home's condition draws in mice; this is to say, many things draw mice into our living areas, like how clean things are, how accessible food is, and available sources of moisture buildup. Your job is to limit these factors and identify mice before they cause serious problems indoors. Here is how to identify and get rid of mice in your Chesapeake home.
Signs Of Mice In Your Chesapeake Home
When mice invade living areas, they do their best to stay out of sight of homeowners. Even though they do this, there are still many clues these pests leave behind to help you identify them. Here are a few signs of mice to watch for:
- Droppings in the backs of pantries, cupboards, and cabinets
- Holes chewed through walls
- Holes chewed through food boxes
- Gnaw marks on furniture
- Damage to electrical wires and utility piping
- The smell of urine in the air
- Torn up insolation, paper, or fabrics
- Nests built in attics, storage rooms, and other secluded areas
- The sound of scampering feet late at night
Something to keep in mind with mice is that they are most active at night. If you go out into your kitchen after dark and flip on a light, you might see one of these furry pests dart for cover or run under your legs.
Why It's Dangerous To Have Mice In Your Chesapeake Home
There are many reasons not to want mice inside your Chesapeake home; one is that they are dangerous. These small rodents are vectors of several diseases; some they carry in their bodies, others they carry on their fur. The most common way people get sick from mice is by interacting with their fecal droppings and urine. Another way mice spread disease is from the pests they carry, like fleas and ticks. These small parasitic bugs are not just a threat to humans but also to unprotected indoor pets like cats, dogs, and bunnies.
Safest & Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Mice In Chesapeake Homes
If you are scared of mice or don't want them inside your living areas, you should consider some DIY mouse control methods. Here are just a few mouse control tips and tricks to use today:
- Check your home's exterior foundation for gaps, holes, and cracks. Seal these entry points using some liquid caulk and steel wool.
- Repair damage to your home's window and door screens.
- Keep up with indoor cleaning and do your best to tidy your living areas.
- Invest in rodent-proof trash cans and clean them if they get dirty.
- Store all your pet food, leftovers, and accessible pantry items inside airtight containers.
- Eliminate sources of water buildup.
- Make sure your gutters are working properly.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures indoors.
Simple & Effective Mouse Prevention Tips For Chesapeake Homes
If you are wondering, are mice in my walls or looking for options to ensure these pests stay out of your home year-round, trust the experts at Hawk Mosquito & Pest. We will start by sending a friendly and highly-trained technician your way to evaluate your home for any existing rodent problems. If we find mice, rats, or other small rodents, we will implement fast-working rodent control measures to get them out quickly. We will then recommend some professional options to help you keep rodents like mice out of your living areas year-round.