The answer to the question above depends on what you're asking. Is it hard to exterminate an ant? Nope. You can exterminate ants with many products or mixtures. A simple vinegar and water solution is enough to knock down most ants. Vinegar works as a knockdown agent and a repellent. But it doesn't work to completely rid a home of ants. Using a vinegar solution, or any other product, can have unwanted results such as making your problem worse. We're going to dig into this topic today. Join us as we look at the efficacy of spray products, what works best to deal with the ants you find in your home, and how to keep ants away from your home. If you want immediate and effective ant control, contact us. Hawk Mosquito & Pest offers industry-leading pest control in Virginia Beach. We know what works to control ants. You don't have to read an article about ants to get control of an ant problem, but if you like learning about ant pest control, you'll find some great nuggets of information here. Read on and enjoy.
Is It Safe To Spray Store-Bought Ant Spray Inside?
Many Virginia Beach residents use over-the-counter ant control sprays to address ant problems. One reason for this is that ants can appear in startling ways. You may walk into a room and see ants all over a wall and find a mass of ants clumped together in a corner. If you don't know that ants sometimes gather in a swarm and create clumps of biomass that look like something from a science fiction horror movie, you might find yourself freaking out and running to the store for spray. They can also accidentally enter your home in large numbers as winged ants. These are startling to see and you might think you have termites. There are many reasons you may turn to sprays for fast extermination of ants on contact.
Is it safe to spray store-bought ant sprays inside your home? It depends on the spray. There are some organically-derived products that are safe for use on indoor insects. While they have an aroma you'll need to get used to, they are developed for the purpose of universal application in proximity to people and pets. But, many sprays are not for use indoors. Read the label carefully if you use a product to control ants indoors. You can get very sick from the wrong kind of spray. But, the question you should be asking isn't, "Is it safe to use ant sprays indoors?" You should ask, "Do sprays work to control ants?" The answer is no. They don't work at all. What is the problem with ant sprays?
- Some sprays are only effective when they are applied directly to ants. When applied to a surface, they do not have any impact on ants.
- Sprays are topical. They don't get into cracks, crevices, and wall voids where most of the ants are located.
- Most sprays have a scent and ants will avoid treated areas.
- Ant sprays attract the symptom of an ant problem. They don't provide effective ant control. You need a product that will target the colony that is sending the ants into your home. If you don't, you'll continue to exterminate ants over and over.
It isn't difficult to exterminate an ant. As we pointed out already, a vinegar solution will do the trick. In fact, a vinegar solution is the best form of green ant control because it exterminates ants on contact, cleans the area where ant pheromones are on surfaces, and has an aroma that helps to repel ants.
- If your goal is to knock down the ants you see, white vinegar and water is a simple way to deal with ants.
- Vinegar and water solution is used as a cleaning agent. It will clean up decaying juice spots and other attractants that lure ants indoors. It will also address the pheromone odor worker ants have left on surfaces. Pheromone chemicals are how ants communicate. Remove the smell and ants will stop coming inside.
- Vinegar and water solution smells bad to ants. You'll notice the aroma at first, but it will fade quickly. Long after you've stopped smelling it, ants can still smell it.
If you're determined to use an indoor spray for ant control in your house, we recommend this approach. When combined with exclusion work, you may get control of your ant problems. There is no need to spray harmful products in your home. But keep in mind that any spray product, even a vinegar-and-water solution, can cause colony budding. Ant species that have multiple queens are prone to budding, which is when one colony splits into two or more colonies. If the queens perceive your treatments as a threat, budding may occur.
What Should I Do If I See Ants Inside My Virginia Beach Home
The best solution for addressing ants is professional ant control. A trained technician will properly identify the ant pests in your home or yard and select products that are known to effectively eliminate their colonies without causing colonies to respond in self-defense. Your technician may apply bait or mound treatments, depending on the species. Other products and methods are used to monitor ant activity after treatments and make sure all pest ant activity is arrested. Why not do this yourself? Because you can achieve undesirable results.
- Improper bait application can lead to ants that are bait averse, making them more difficult to control.
- Improper bait selection can result in no effect, which allows ants to continue to cause issues.
- Improper mound treatments are sure to cause budding if you have an ant species with multiple queens.
These are just some ways DIY treatments fall short. When you have a trained pest professional handle your ant control, you'll get the results you want.
The Importance Of Regular Ant Control Treatments
Many Virginia Beach residents get year-round pest control that provides coverage for ant pests. These routine treatments prevent ant problems before they begin. That is the primary reason to get them. Some ants are worse than others.
- Fire ants are annoying ants that sting. When these ants come into your yard, they can present a threat that is best addressed proactively. All it takes is one fire ant sting to create a medical emergency. While rare, some individuals have an allergy to insect venom and serious symptoms, such as anaphylaxis. This can occur suddenly and without warning after a stinging incident. A stinging insect allergy can develop later in life after multiple exposures to stinging insects. So, again, while it is rare, it is usually entirely unexpected. It is best to proactively deal with fire ants.
- Carpenter ants are homewreckers. Sure, they're not as bad as termites but, given the right circumstances, these ants can do significant damage to your home. The best time to deal with carpenter ants is not after you've discovered them. They can damage your home right under your nose. Most infestations are caught years after these have infested. One reason for this is that carpenter ants can find plentiful food resources outside and don't need to invade your kitchen or pantry to get a meal. When you don't have the warning sign of big black ants in your home, you're vulnerable to property damage. Regular ant control treatments prevent unexpected surprises like carpenter ant damage.
- Pharaoh ants, and ants in general, can make you sick. Sometimes ant-related sickness goes on for months or years without a link made between the sickness and the ants. When you are proactive about ant control, you don't have to wonder if ants are why you're sick.
These are only some of the reasons to get routine ant and pest treatments. Hopefully, we've made a strong enough case. We don't want to overload you. It is just critical that you know why routine ant control is important.
Professional Help For Nuisance Ant Problems
Most of the time, Virginia Beach residents get professional ant control for nuisance ant problems. We hope you don't wait until ants are freaking you out and making a nuisance of themselves. You can get started with year-round pest control today. It is always best to get proactive about all pests—not just ants. Pests can damage your home and your belongings. Some bite and sting. Some transmit diseases. Ongoing pest control isn't just a way to prevent pests from annoying you. It is essential protection every home should have. If you want exceptional pest control service in Virginia Beach, contact Hawk Mosquito & Pest. Our technicians have the training, experience, and professionalism to give you the highest quality of service and the most effective pest control for your home. It is easy to get started. Head over to our contact page and drop us a line. Let us know what pests are a concern for you and what your expectations are. We'll guide you toward the right solution for your specific needs and budget.